Posted by: Jessie | August 25, 2010

A Week and a Half Post-Wreck

Forgive me friends, for I have slacked.  It’s been a week since my last update.

My general philosophy for this blog is to post cool stuff.  Lately I haven’t been feeling so cool, so I’ve been reluctant to post. 

The night after the wreck I could not sleep.  I kept thinking about the accident, how thankful I was that things did not turn out worse then they did, how thankful I was that we had friends who could help, that the kid’s parents drove Eric to the hospital, etc.  But the thought that kept me tossing and turning all night was the knowledge that this was not an accident.  He ran Eric off the road on purpose.  How could someone play with other people’s lives like that?  How could someone risk killing or seriously maiming another human being just because he “didn’t want to be passed”?  Wow.  I just couldn’t wrap my head around it.

Eric had to sleep in the recliner in his den to keep his collar bone aligned and to keep from rolling over and doing more damage to it.  The dogs couldn’t understand why we were sleeping in separate rooms.  They didn’t know if they should go to their own beds in the bedroom or stay up with Eric.  They couldn’t sleep that night either, they kept pacing from room to room.

The next day Eric mentioned that Len had not had a chance to look at the bike yet, but that he thought it might be about $1000.  That night the thought that kept running through my head was “How could someone deliberately wreck such a beautiful old collector’s bike like that?  Just because he didn’t want to be passed?”  If Eric had been driving a shiny vintage Corvette, would the kid still have tried to wreck him?  I just didn’t get it.

This past Sunday was a beautiful day.  Mostly sunny but not too hot.  The temperature had dropped into the 80’s.  Perfect weather to go for a ride.  The Moto Guzzi had been sitting for over a week, its carbs would have appreciated a run.  But I just didn’t feel like riding.  Wow.  Weird.  I didn’t feel like riding.  Last time I went for a ride my husband was deliberately forced off the road and could have been seriously hurt.  Eric lost his ability to ride for a while, we had to cancel our vacation plans to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway and meet up with the BMW club weekend at Deal’s Gap.  In a matter of seconds all that was taken from us, and we could have lost a lot more.  Now I seem to have lost my desire to ride.  I love to ride.  I hope this is temporary.  This stupid kid has no right to take away so much that I love.

 I’ve been slowly resolving those feelings… but it’s not easy.

It’s been a week and a half since the… (accident?  No.  Assault?  Yes, but I’m trying to let go of those feelings.)  wreck.  Eric is still sleeping in the recliner.  His collar bone seems to be healing quickly, though.  Since his right collar bone was broken he completely lost the use of his right hand and arm for a little while.  Poor guy had to try to eat with his left hand for a week!  This Tuesday Eric began to be able to eat with his right hand.  Tonight was the first time he has been able to eat a whole meal with his right hand!  He is able to take the sling off for longer and longer periods of time.  Tomorrow morning he has an appointment with the doctor.  They are going to take an x-ray to see how it’s healing.

Eric's bruise has developed a spectacular show of color.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: